Study in Norway


A Scandinavian country, Norway is well developed and forward thinking. Known for its Viking ancestors, Norway has a long and fascinating history. With beautiful fjords, the famous Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and a great reputation for research, Norway is perfect for any international student.

Study in the Norway University


The Norwegian system has undergone reform to reduce the number of universities through mergers and this process is not yet complete. Under recent changes, 14 universities and university colleges were merged into five new universities and university colleges.

Bachelors degrees in Norway typically last 3-4 years and may include work experience. The Norwegian higher education system is aligned to the Bologna process meaning that a bachelor degree at a university will last three years and a masters degree usually takes two years to complete.

There are very few bachelors degrees taught in English in Norway and most of these are taught in University Colleges.

Completion of secondary education at advanced level, equivalent to passing the exam at the end of Norwegian upper secondary school, is the basic requirement for entry to Norwegian universities and university colleges. If you have A levels you should be eligible for entry to a Norwegian university although there may be special entry requirements for some subjects, particularly in the sciences.

The precise requirements listed by the Norwegian authorities are 5 GCE passes of which two must be A’ levels. Alternatively 1 A’ level plus 2 AS levels may also be sufficient. GCE passes include A’ levels, AS levels and GCSEs.

You apply directly to the university you are interested in. As there are so few bachelors programmes in English it is extremely unlikely that you will be interested in applying to more than one university. For British passport holders you will be able to apply after the deadline of 15th April at private universities and up to 1st June at university colleges.

Norway uses the Norwegian Krone (NOK) as its currency.

Public universities in Norway do not charge tuition fees even for international students. Depending on where you choose to study, you may be required to pay a small fee each semester, but that is normally between NOK 300 and NOK 600. This semester fee gets you membership to the student union, access to health services, counselling and sports facilities as well as an official student card. Your student card can reduce your fees on public transport and give you a discount for museums and art galleries. There are some courses at public institutions that you may have to pay for, but these are rare, and tend to be at postgraduate level. If you choose to study at a private institution, you will be required to pay tuition fees, and these will vary at each institution. There are some scholarships available for EU/EEA students and international students, make sure to check with your chosen institution about your eligibility.

Your living costs will depend on where you choose to live in Norway. The bigger cities will be more expensive than the smaller cities and towns. You may be able to apply to the Norwegian State Education Loan Fund for a grant to help you cover your costs. On average, you should budget for between NOK 9,500 and NOK 20,000 per month. Students from an EU/EEA country can get part-time work without any permission. Students from anywhere else will be required to apply for a work permit before you can get part-time work. No matter where you are from, you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full-time during the holidays.

All students wishing to study at a Norwegian institution will need to obtain a visa, which comes in the form of a student residence permit. If you are from an EEA country, you do not need to apply for a residence permit before you arrive in Norway, but will need to do so within three months of your arrival. If you are from any other country, you will need to apply for a residence permit before you travel to Norway. This can be done at the Norwegian embassy or consulate in your home country. More information regarding student residence permits can be found on the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) website.

Another thing that students need to consider is health insurance. If you are from a Nordic country, you will become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme if you are registered in the National Population Register. If you are from a Nordic country but are not registered, you are still entitled to health services under the National Insurance Act, and will not need an EHIC card. If you are from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you will not become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme, but will be able to access emergency and necessary healthcare so long as you have an EHIC card. If your country does not entitle you to an EHIC card, you will need to ensure you have health insurance for the duration of your stay. If you are from any other country, you will be automatically registered with the Norwegian National Health Insurance Scheme as long as your stay is one year or more.  If you will not be in Norway for more than a year, you will need to make sure you have a valid health insurance policy. Some institutions have certain healthcare services on campus, to which you will have free access when you pay your semester fee. Check with your institution to determine if this is applicable to you.

Need Help?

Are you planning to study in the UK, Canada or any other foreign country? Contact us today for a free consultancy at our Dhaka office.