Study in Czech Republic from Bangladesh


Located in Central Europe, the Czech Republic is known for its blend of traditional, gothic and modern architecture. It is also home to 12 of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The Czech Republic covers an area of 78,866 square kilometres and is home to 10.6 million people.

The country has a fascinating history, and it was the only place in Central Europe to remain a democracy between World War I and World War II. In 1993, Czechoslovakia peacefully dissolved and created 2 countries, one of which we now know as the Czech Republic.

Study in the Czech Republic University


The Czech Republic is a well developed country, with a rich economy founded on an export-oriented social market. It is also a member of the EU, and bordered by 4 well known European countries. This make it a perfect location for international students to gain their education, with access to industry based job opportunities.

Whilst the official language is Czech, thousands of courses are taught in English throughout higher education institutions. There is a mixture of public and private universities, as well as 2 state institutions. Across these institutions, there are more than 43,000 international students.

The Czech Republic has a high quality education system, specialising in Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. It is home to the oldest university in Central Europe, The Charles University in Prague, founded in 1348. Ranked in the top 20 countries in the world for its education system, the Czech Republic is the ideal destination for international students wanting to study abroad!

Although it is in the EU, the Czech Republic uses the Czech Koruna (CZK) as its currency.

Study Expenses
International students wanting to study in English will have to pay a tuition fee. This applies whether they go to a public, state or private university. These fees can vary between being free, and costing up to $22,350 per year.

Living Expenses
Most large universities have their own dormitories. These will cost around $150 per month, depending on the choice of university. For information regarding individual accommodation costs, please refer to your university of choice – links can be found at the bottom of the page. If you would prefer to live in private accommodation, costs will be higher. For example, a private room in a flat can cost around $250 per month, and a private flat can cost around $450 per month.

You can eat out at a restaurant from 130 CZK/$5.90, and lunch in a student canteen will cost around 50 CZK/$2.30. The cost of entertainment is also reasonable. For example an average cinema ticket costs between 100-200 CZK/$4-$9, and average fitness centre admission starts from 100 CZK/$4.50.
There is an International Student Identity Card available for all students. Having this card allows you to get discounts for transport, restaurants and many other exciting things. You should obtain this card from your home country, or you can find more information and apply on their website.
If you are from a country outside of the EU and are not coming from the countries listed below, you may need to purchase comprehensive health insurance. This applies if you are staying in the Czech Republic for longer than 90 days. It is important that this is acquired, as proof of your health insurance policy will be required when you apply for your visa. There are certain insurance companies that are certified to provide insurance policies for international students, and you should be sure that your insurance covers all appropriate requirements. There is often a discount for students aged 17-26.

Countries outside of the EU that are exempt from purchasing health insurance cover:
• Bosnia and Herzegovina
• Croatia
• Cuba
• Japan
• Macedonia
• Montenegro
• Turkey
• Serbia

Working during your studies is a great way to pay for education and enjoy your free time. However, students from outside of the EU should be aware that if they are in the Czech Republic on a student visa, paid work cannot be your primary occupation. If you are studying a programme accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, you will not need an employment permit. If you are on any other programmes, you are required to obtain an employment permit and a resident permit, or an Employee Card or Blue Card.

Students coming from an EU country or Switzerland do not need an employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card in order to gain employment. This also applies to students from outside of the EU who are in the Czech Republic on a student exchange programme such as Erasmus.

Students from an EU country or Switzerland do not have to obtain a student visa to study in the Czech Republic. They do however have a reporting duty if their stay is going to be longer than 30 days. If this is the case, they are to report to the nearest Foreign Police Department. This does not always apply to students staying in student dormitories, but you should check with your university of choice.

Students from countries outside of the EU need to obtain a student visa to be able to study and live in the Czech Republic. There are several different types of visas, and all are appropriate for different situations. You should get a short-term visa if your stay is going to be less than 90 days, and a long term visa if your stay is going to be longer than 90 days. If your studies are going to keep you in the Czech Republic for longer than one year, you should apply for a long-term residence permit for study purposes.

When submitting your application for your visa, you are usually required to include these documents:

• Application form
• Letter of acceptance for studies
• Valid passport and passport photos
• Proof of financial resources (bank account statement, proof of grant/tuition support or sponsorship etc)
• Valid international health insurance
• Confirmation of guaranteed accommodation
• Abstract from the Register of Criminal Records

Some of the above documents need to be translated into Czech language by a translator with an official rubber stamp.

Visa regulations are subject to change, so to make sure you have the most up to date information regarding your visa application process, please visit the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic at:

Need Help?

Are you planning to study in the UK, Canada or any other foreign country? Contact us today for a free consultancy at our Dhaka office.